SandForce, a leading developer of controllers for solid-state drives (SSDs), on Thursday announced the availability of the SF-2000 family of SSD controllers optimized for SSDs deployed in mission-critical enterprise and industrial computing applications. The new controllers bring support for new flash memory chips, ONFI2, toggle flash, SAS and SATA-600 interfaces.
“We are building on the success of our first generation product now in production with multiple Enterprise OEMs by introducing the SF-2000 family that offers significant feature and performance enhancements for our rapidly expanding customer base of trusted SandForce Driven Enterprise and Industrial SSD manufacturers," said Michael Raam, president and chief exec of SandForce.
These SandForce SF2000 chips feature Serial ATA-600 host interface, DuraClass technology, an unprecedented 60 000 sustained random read/write IOPS (input-output operations per second) and sustained sequential read/write performance of 500MB/s. In addition to state-of-the-art performance, reliability, security, and Serial-Attached SCSI (SAS) connectivity enhancements, the SF-2000 family supports single-level, multi-level, and enterprise multi-level cell (SLC, MLC, & eMLC) NAND Flash families from all major suppliers with its high-speed ONFi2 and Toggle Flash interface.
"The market for SSDs is poised to experience rapid growth over the next few years,” said Jeff Janukowicz, research manager for Solid State Drives at IDC. “Solutions, such as the SandForce SF-2000 Family of SSD Processors, that enable increased performance and higher reliability in a flexible design will enable SSD vendors to meet the demands of this fast paced market."
The SF-2000 SSD Processor Family addresses the needs of enterprise and industrial storage markets with configurations and firmware optimized for each segment. These devices preserve the advantageous SandForce ”DRAM-less” architecture (no DRAM components required) which is optimal for dense and custom tiny form factor native SATA SSDs, in addition to SAS- and PCI Express-based SSDs when integrated with RAID and Host-Bus Adapter chips on one card.
Additionally, SF-2000 SSD processors feature:
- Support for advanced 30nm- and 20nm-class flash with Asynch/ONFi2/Toggle interfaces with data rates up to 166MT/s;
- Enhanced dual-ported SAS bridge support, including non-512-byte sector sizes, e.g., 520, 524, 528, 4K, etc., with Data Integrity Field (DIF) for true enterprise-class SAS drive behavior and performance;
- TCG enterprise security with selectable multi-banded 256/128-bit AES encryption with line-rate double encryption for data written to the drive;
- Advanced ECC engine correcting up to 55 bits per 512-byte sector to assure high data integrity and support for future generations of flash memory;
- Power and performance throttling options to support green computing initiatives;
- Industrial temperature support (-40 to +85 degrees Celsius).