Chief executive officer of Hewlett-Packard said that manufacturers of hard disk drives (HDDs) are unsure when they be able to restore all shipments of HDDs to the levels prior to severe flooding in Thailand. In the meantime, HP did the same as its rivals: it started to acquire hard drives and pull-in the inventory.

"I have been on the phone with the heads of all four of our disk drive partners. I am not even sure they have a complete picture about when they are going to be back up and running," said Meg Whitman, chief executive officer of HP, during the conference call with financial analysts.

Just like its rival Dell, HP formed a special crisis team, pulled-in already made PCs and started to acquire hard drives from its partners. As a result, the company now can prioritize its shipments and supply enough PC products to important or strategic customers. In general, HP does not expect itself to suffer significantly from the shortage of hard disk drives, but is still cautious about the situation.

"We reacted really fast to this. We set up a war room. We began pulling in inventory and made strategic buys of hard drives back in early October. So I think we will get more than our fair share of drives here because of the long-term relationships that we have with our suppliers because we were on this really fast," explained Mrs. Whitman.

Exactly like the  vast majority of its competitors and partners, the chief exec of HP expects shortages of hard drives to continue to exist throughout the first half of 2012.

"I think this is going to affect the industry pretty dramatically because it is PCs, it is servers, it is storage. I think there is going to be some shortages in Q1 and Q2. I think we're as well positioned as we can be, but I think this is going to be pretty tough for the industry," concluded Mrs. Whitman.

Tags: HP, Hewlett-Packard, HDD, Seagate, WD, Hitachi, Toshiba, Business

Discussion started: 11/22/11 02:01:28 PM
Latest comment: 11/27/11 06:18:13 AM

So much for all the savings of doing business over shore.
0 0 [Posted by: USAFANG67  | Date: 11/23/11 01:52:50 AM]

Yes because a natural disaster could never hit the US and cripple a critical industry :rolleyes:
0 0 [Posted by: daneren2005  | Date: 11/23/11 01:19:24 PM]

Natural Disasters hit anywhere. US no exempt to that, are you studying your history boy?
0 0 [Posted by: pogsnet  | Date: 11/24/11 11:39:35 AM]

With the price platters are staying at, it almost makes sense to just get the deals on 120-128GB SSDs and compute conservatively. Luckily, I had inventoried so many drives, I should just cash in!!! lol. Something smells fishy though, this "disaster" qouteunqoute shouldn't be cripplin the market like the makers claim, they're just squeezing blood b/c they realize we still need platters for actual storage. V-I-P-E-R-S! (I wouldn't sell mine to sqeeze, I was j/k, lol)
0 0 [Posted by: Penwobbler  | Date: 11/27/11 06:18:13 AM]

Thursday, August 21, 2014

12:10 pm | AMD to Lower Prices of A-Series APUs for Back-to-School Season. New Prices of AMD A-Series APUs Revealed

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

10:53 am | AMD to Cut Prices on FX-9000, Other FX Processors: New Prices Revealed. AMD to Make FX Chips More Affordable, Discontinue Low-End Models

10:32 am | LG to Introduce World’s First Curved 21:9 Ultra-Wide Display. LG Brings Curved Displays to Gamers, Professionals

9:59 am | AMD Readies FX-8370, FX-8370E Microprocessors. AMD Preps Two New “Mainstream” FX Chips

Monday, August 4, 2014

4:04 pm | HGST Shows-Off World’s Fastest SSD Based on PCM Memory. Phase-Change Memory Power’s World’s Fastest Solid-State Drive