Although technologies that enable large-capacity hard disk drives already exist at Western Digital, the company will only release its HDDs with 5TB capacity late in 2013. As it appears, the progress on the market of hard drives slowed down in the recent years as the amount of HDD makers declined.

According to a slide, which presumably comes from WD roadmap, Western Digital will introduce WD Green 4TB (WD40EZRX) and WD Red 4TB (WD40EFRX) drives in the third quarter of 2013, whereas WD Green 5TB (WD50EZRX) and WD Red 5TB (WD50EFRX) will be released in Q4 2013, reports Always More Digital web-site.

Both WD Green and WD Red hard disk drives feature variable spindle speed between 5400rpm and 5900rpm and are optimized for large capacities, low power consumption and operation in RAID mode, but not maximum possible performance.

What remains to be seen is whether the 5TB hard drives from Western Digital will utilize four 1.25TB platters, or five latest-generation 1TB platters. Thanks to acquisition of Hitachi GST company, WD has access to five-platter hard drive technology and theoretically unveil 5TB drives even now.

Makers of hard drives initiated shipments of 4TB 3.5” desktop hard disk drives back in Q4 2011. As it appears, it will take companies around two years to come out with next – 5TB – capacity point. The reasons behind such slow progress are understandable: there are now fewer hard drive makers on the market and the competition is not intense; the manufacturers had to solve issues associated with drown production capacities in last year’s flooding in Thailand.

Western Digital did not comment on the news-story.

Tags: WD, Western Digital, HDD, WD Green, WD Red

Discussion started: 12/04/12 09:32:33 AM
Latest comment: 01/07/13 11:11:21 PM

Less competition = slower progress. Great.
4 1 [Posted by: Pedro_mann  | Date: 12/04/12 09:32:33 AM]

Yet people are excited about the possibility of AMD going out of business. Most ignorant thing I have ever heard.
4 6 [Posted by: veli05  | Date: 12/04/12 10:45:31 AM]

show the post
1 8 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 12/05/12 04:58:48 AM]

Excited? Where do you read this? We all want the competition as its healthier for us all in the long term. Its just AMD themselves can't compete with Intel's mainstream performance processors so they are their own worse enemies if they can't keep up.
5 0 [Posted by: thudo  | Date: 12/05/12 08:14:35 AM]

You got this all wrong friend.
We are not excited at all for the lack of competition. But the issue here is that there is no point to support a company who is not willing to compete but instead it just wants to remain there. I personally don't want this kind of situation with AMD to keep going on. If they cant compete its better if they just vanish and let someone else to step up the game.
5 2 [Posted by: Avon4Balls  | Date: 12/05/12 09:48:49 AM]

Tell me Avon. Who can step up to compete with a behemoth like Intel on a equal capitalisation basis? Maybe Samsung, but they'll never get an x86 license from Intel, of course. Intel has been dominate for so long and has been protected from competition by the FTC that no one can bring them down. AMD can only make competitive products that prick the beast but they will never be able to put an arrow through its heart. This is bad for consumers, Avon. Blame the government agencies for letting this terrible situation blossom.

PS: Avon, you have no friends here except you banned troll friend 1234.
1 0 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 12/05/12 09:53:07 PM]

The only real competition Intel has is from ARM. But unfortunately that gives me all the stuff I don't want. I hate integrated graphics and I certainly don't want integrated voltage modules and I want to be able to move my FSB higher to overclock.

AMD: you started with a cpu that had the same speed with lower clocks but you abandoned that and went for higher clocks anyway. Intel learned from you and now has a vastly better IPC and that is at least a big part of the reason they defeat you now. Go back to the old AMD way. Please I beg you.
0 0 [Posted by: Kurr0Zaki  | Date: 12/08/12 06:08:52 AM]

Not quite. Less competition = focus on quality.
0 1 [Posted by: Ivan Yuzafatau  | Date: 12/20/12 10:55:18 AM]

That is why I just bought an AMD Sleekbook over Intel Ultrabook, to support AMD to help bring down Intel the Goliath. Not just because it is supporting my old chum AMD, but because it is much better from a price performance aspect. I am still your fan AMD (despite buying Intel desktops for the past few times). I will never forget my first Athlon and what it did for Quake 2. Ahhh the good old days. GO AMD GO! Even when AMD was whooping Intel a decade or so ago, they were still considered small fry's. The FTC will block small companies and industries like IDT and PLX merger (PCI Express who compete with Intel), but they let Intel whoop the crap out of every other hardware company and swoop up and tie up any software company, AMD is just the tip of the iceberg.

Boy I hate Intel, so happy I went with my AMD Sleekbook now.

Oh and I forgot to mention, actions by Intel caused my last two hardware companies to go out of business. Greedy pigs.
0 0 [Posted by: hapinet  | Date: 12/27/12 06:30:03 AM]

5TB sounds sufficient for all of my data needs in the next decade. just hope it survive that long.
0 0 [Posted by: idonotknow  | Date: 01/07/13 11:11:21 PM]

Monday, April 14, 2014

8:23 am | Microsoft Vows to Release Xbox 360 Emulator for Xbox One. Microsoft Xbox One May Gain Compatibility with Xbox 360 Games

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

10:39 am | Microsoft Reveals Kinect for Windows v2 Hardware. Launch of New Kinect for Windows Approaches

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

1:57 pm | Facebook to Acquire Virtual Reality Pioneer, Oculus VR. Facebook Considers Virtual Reality as Next-Gen Social Platform

1:35 pm | Intel Acquires Maker of Wearable Computing Devices. Basis Science Becomes Fully-Owned Subsidiary of Intel

Monday, March 24, 2014

10:53 pm | Global UHD TV Shipments Total 1.6 Million Units in 2013 – Analysts. China Ahead of the Whole World with 4K TV Adoption

10:40 pm | Crytek to Adopt AMD Mantle Mantle API for CryEngine. Leading Game Developer Adopts AMD Mantle

9:08 pm | Microsoft Unleashes DirectX 12: One API for PCs, Mobile Gadgets and Xbox One. Microsoft Promises Increased Performance, New Features with DirectX 12

3:33 pm | PowerVR Wizard: Imagination Reveals World’s First Ray-Tracing GPU IP for Mobile Devices. Imagination Technologies Brings Ray-Tracing, Hybrid Rendering Modes to Smartphones and Tablets

2:00 pm | Nokia Now Expects to Close Deal with Microsoft in Q2. Sale of Nokia’s Division to Close Next Month