Looks like WD have a lot of faith in their products..................NOT
Western Digital Corp. has unveiled the fourth generation of WD Arkeia network backup appliances, delivering an all-in-one backup and disaster recovery solution for small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs). The new backup devices are based on six-core Intel Xeon microprocessors and support solid-state drives for faster operation.
“WD is committed to providing the growing SMB marketplace with a comprehensive suite of storage solutions. With unique features, these next-generation WD Arkeia network backup appliances offer solutions providers and their customers a simple, smart way to protect their data,” said Jim Welsh, executive vice president and general manager of WD’s branded business unit.
The new line up consists of four rack-mount appliance models with larger internal disk capacities, faster processors, increased memory, and integrated solid state drives (SSDs) to shorten backup time and accelerate data recovery. The bundled WD Arkeia v10.1 software delivers new support for “seed and feed” technology to support hybrid cloud backups. This allows companies to move backups offsite via network replication rather than shipment of tapes.
Fourth-generation WD Arkeia backup appliances deliver performance and ease-of-use at an affordable price for SMBs. These new appliances extend the upper range of WD Arkeia appliances and complement available lower-range appliances. WD Arkeia R120s and R220s, both with optional LTO4 tape drives, integrate dual-core Atom and quad-core Xeon processors, respectively. Existing appliances deliver disk capacities from 2TB to 12TB and will also bundle WD Arkeia v10.1. The new fourth-generation appliances also offer:
- New features include integrated LTO5 tape drives, processor upgrades to a maximum of 2 six-core Intel Xeon, integrated SSDs on select models, and memory up to 96GB to allow for increased data backup and recovery speeds of both files and disk images. WD Arkeia’s patented Progressive Deduplication technology accelerates backups by compressing data at source computers before transfer over local area networks (LANs) or wide area networks (WANs).
- Storage capacity doubles from the third generation, with raw capacity now ranging up to 48TB, configured in RAID-6.
- Version 10.1 of WD Arkeia software, delivered with the new generation, includes an on-boarding wizard to streamline the appliance setup process.
- All new WD Arkeia appliances feature WD enterprise-class WD RE hard drives for maximum data integrity.
- Version 10.1 of WD Arkeia software extends support for hybrid cloud backup capabilities to the full line of WD Arkeia appliances. “Seed and feed” capabilities allow administrators to supplement network replication of backup sets offsite by using USB-connected hard drives to transfer initial and large backup sets and also to size WAN bandwidth for the replication of nightly incremental backups.
WD Arkeia fourth generation network backup appliances – models RA4300, RA4300T, RA5300, RA6300 – will be available in July 2013 through select DMR’s and WD-authorized value-added resellers (VARs) in the U.S., Canada, and Europe. Manufacturer’s suggested retail price, including hardware and software, begins at $9990. WD Arkeia network backup appliances are covered by one year of unlimited access to technical support, one year of software updates, and a one-year limited hardware warranty.
“WD Arkeia is delivering comprehensive SMB backup solutions that go beyond simple raw capacity increases. WD Arkeia offers easy-to-use data protection that takes the guess work out of purchasing, configuring and managing data backup & recovery, while also embedding features such as deduplication and hybrid cloud backup for small- and medium-sized businesses or remote offices,” said Liz Conner, senior research analyst at IDC.