We have recently started a series of reviews dedicated to Socket AM3+ mainboards based on AMD’s 9th series chipsets and supporting new Bulldozer processors, which currently available version is known as Zambezi. Our first article compared three mainboards from Asus, Gigabyte and MSI. Unfortunately, there was no real rivalry there. It turned out that despite the numerous delays of the new AMD processors launch only Asus Crosshair V Formula mainboard provided fully-fledged support for Socket AM3+ processors. Therefore, it will make sense to allow other makers a bit more time to eliminate all problems and imperfections and in the meanwhile continue checking out new Asus mainboards. There are currently only two mainboards in Asus’ lineup that are based on the top-of-the-line AMD 990FX chipset. We have already reviewed Asus Crosshair V Formula from the ROG (Republic Of Gamers) series, and now time has come for Sabertooth 990FX from the TUF (The Ultimate Force) series. The mainboards from TUF series stand out due to their unique design and superior-quality components. The manufacturer points out increased stability and longer life span as their primary distinguishing features.
Packaging and Accessories
Asus Sabertooth 990FX comes in a box of standard size. Its exterior is pretty typical for all TUF series products: the cardboard box is designed as if it were a metal one. The front panel can be flipped open and you can find detailed description of some mainboard features on the other side of it. There is a photograph of the mainboard and a list of its technical specifications on the back of the box.
The mainboard itself sits in individual packaging with a plastic cover, with all the accessories hidden beneath that package:
- Four SATA cables with L-shaped metal connector locks;
- A flexible bridge for two-way Nvidia SLI graphics configurations;
- I/O Shield for the back panel;
- “Asus Q-Connector” set including adapters for easy connection of the system case front panel buttons and indicators and a USB port;
- User manual;
- 5-year warranty information sheet in multiple languages;
- Reliability certificate indicating the components testing procedures;
- DVD disk with software and drivers;
- “TUF Inside” and “Powered by Asus” stickers for the system case.